Monday, May 17, 2010

Lets go Dutch!!

That was the only one thing i knew about the dutch. 'Lets go dutch..' I had wondered what sort of a country it is.. when a family goes out to eat dad pays for his food, mom for hers and if the son is old enough he pays for himself.

Now after a week at Maastricht, Netherlands i know what it is being a dutch!!

House of the president,Maastricht University Jo Ritzen
The prez calls everyone home for dinner, greets everyone personally, asking about the facilities and other professors at the university treating you like someone special.

At the university you can walk in to anyone's office. I have always had the privilege to walk in to the offices of university's back home (thanks to my dad) and even at the IIM its the same. Here i just had to walk to deans office,he walks with me to my office and takes care everything is fine. A nice feeling to have when you are away from home. I wonder how a graduate student in India will feel (or whether he will dare to) walking to university Vice-Chancellors office. When my dads office was accessible to anyone anytime, i had wondered why he was doing that (The land were you have the SFI's :P).. But now i realize what European education will do.

Train to Amsterdam central
I took wrong train from Schipol to Amsterdam Central. The ticket checker tells i am on the wrong train and explains how to get back. Fine till now. Can you expect an announcement made in train for us when change over station was reached. It did happen.

Every single person greets you on the way., have a good day or have a great trip. I can imagine how they would be feeling the way we treat them on our land.

Overall when you have these nice people all around, its a nice experience working. I have a polish guy, German girl another Romanian guy and the dutch working with me. Feels great and

I am loving it the dutch way!!!!

No comments: